Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Bay
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01045
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12678
KEYWORDS
Portree
King James V
Meall
harbour
Portree Bay

Named to commemorate the visit of twelve ships of King James V of Scotland in 1540, Portree only became a settlement of any note after 1780 when it was founded by Sir James MacDonald. It is now Skye's largest town.

The land above the pier is known as the Meall, a promontory that creates a sheltered harbour and a busy port. Across the bay is Inveralivaig and past the harbour entrance is the Island of Raasay.

Coming in to the pier is the paddle steamer 'Fusilier'. She was built in 1888, and at the time of the photograph was owned by the MacBrayne company, and used as a mailboat on the west coast for a short time . It was scrapped in 1939. The boat tied at the pier is thought to be another of the MacBrayne fleet, possibly on the Stornoway route.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Bay

INVERNESS: Portree

1920s

Portree; King James V; Meall; harbour

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Named to commemorate the visit of twelve ships of King James V of Scotland in 1540, Portree only became a settlement of any note after 1780 when it was founded by Sir James MacDonald. It is now Skye's largest town. <br /> <br /> The land above the pier is known as the Meall, a promontory that creates a sheltered harbour and a busy port. Across the bay is Inveralivaig and past the harbour entrance is the Island of Raasay. <br /> <br /> Coming in to the pier is the paddle steamer 'Fusilier'. She was built in 1888, and at the time of the photograph was owned by the MacBrayne company, and used as a mailboat on the west coast for a short time . It was scrapped in 1939. The boat tied at the pier is thought to be another of the MacBrayne fleet, possibly on the Stornoway route. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />