Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
TSS 'Lochness'
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01055
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12686
KEYWORDS
Lochness
steamer
MacBraynes
Castle Maol
Lochalsh
TSS 'Lochness'

The TSS 'Lochness' was built for MacBrayne's in 1929. She is seen here in the early morning calm heading south in Loch Alsh with Caisteal Maol just visible in the background.

The 'Lochness' had her maiden voyage on Glasgow Fair Saturday and took over the Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh, Stornoway route which had been covered by the SS 'Sheila' until she ran aground in 1927. The 'Lochness' fuelled at Kyle, and a large oil storage tank had to be built there. It became a prominent feature of the pier.

The 'Lochness' was sold in the 1955 to Italian owners, then in 1958 to Greek owners. She was renamed 'Myrtidiotissa' and ended her working days in the Aegean Islands.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

TSS 'Lochness'

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Lochness; steamer; MacBraynes; Castle Maol; Lochalsh

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The TSS 'Lochness' was built for MacBrayne's in 1929. She is seen here in the early morning calm heading south in Loch Alsh with Caisteal Maol just visible in the background. <br /> <br /> The 'Lochness' had her maiden voyage on Glasgow Fair Saturday and took over the Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh, Stornoway route which had been covered by the SS 'Sheila' until she ran aground in 1927. The 'Lochness' fuelled at Kyle, and a large oil storage tank had to be built there. It became a prominent feature of the pier. <br /> <br /> The 'Lochness' was sold in the 1955 to Italian owners, then in 1958 to Greek owners. She was renamed 'Myrtidiotissa' and ended her working days in the Aegean Islands. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />