Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dun Telve, Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01096
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12717
KEYWORDS
Dun Telve
Dun Troddan
brochs
Glenelg
Dun Telve, Glenelg

This is a photograph of Dun Telve, one of two Iron Age Brochs situated in Glen Beag, near Glenelg. Of the two brochs, Dun Telve is the better preserved with all the usual features including door checks, bar hole, the scarcements and galleries well visible. Material was probably removed from both Dun Telve and Dun Troddan, situated farther up the glen, in 1722 for construction of the Bernera Barracks. A few finds were recovered during excavation in 1914, including stone cups, rotary querns and spindle whorls. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, used this photograph in his 1923 tourist souvenir publication, Isles and Peaks of the West. The broch is now under care of Historic Scotland


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dun Telve, Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1920s

Dun Telve; Dun Troddan; brochs; Glenelg

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This is a photograph of Dun Telve, one of two Iron Age Brochs situated in Glen Beag, near Glenelg. Of the two brochs, Dun Telve is the better preserved with all the usual features including door checks, bar hole, the scarcements and galleries well visible. Material was probably removed from both Dun Telve and Dun Troddan, situated farther up the glen, in 1722 for construction of the Bernera Barracks. A few finds were recovered during excavation in 1914, including stone cups, rotary querns and spindle whorls. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, used this photograph in his 1923 tourist souvenir publication, Isles and Peaks of the West. The broch is now under care of Historic Scotland <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />