Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duncraig Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01150
PLACENAME
Duncraig
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1920
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12742
KEYWORDS
Duncraig Castle
Daniel Hamilton
Alexander Matheson
tourist booklet
education
Duncraig Castle

Duncraig Castle is a large Baronial mansion by Alexander Ross, built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. The castle is east of Plockton overlooking Loch Carron. It was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939 for use as a Royal Naval Hospital for the duration of the War. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the Castle and contents to the Education Authority for use as a Domestic Science College, which operated until 1989, and is now privately owned. The photographer, Duncan Macpherson, used this photograph, taken about 1920, in one of his tourist booklets, Isles and Peaks of the West, which he published in 1923


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duncraig Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

Duncraig Castle; Daniel Hamilton; Alexander Matheson; tourist booklet; education

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Duncraig Castle is a large Baronial mansion by Alexander Ross, built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. The castle is east of Plockton overlooking Loch Carron. It was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939 for use as a Royal Naval Hospital for the duration of the War. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the Castle and contents to the Education Authority for use as a Domestic Science College, which operated until 1989, and is now privately owned. The photographer, Duncan Macpherson, used this photograph, taken about 1920, in one of his tourist booklets, Isles and Peaks of the West, which he published in 1923 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>