Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lochalsh Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01155
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12746
KEYWORDS
hotel
Station Hotel
Lochalsh Hotel
Kyle of Lochalsh
jetty
Skye
Lochalsh Hotel

This building, originally owned by Sir Alexander Matheson, is shown as 'Kyle Cottage' on a map of 1893, but looks substantially larger than the name implies. Sir Alexander's son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold it to the company building the railway to Kyle in about 1897 and it was converted into a hotel. It was called ' The Station Hotel', though it was not beside the station, but next to the jetty where ferries crossed to Skye. In this photograph, it has been greatly enlarged and renamed the Lochalsh Hotel. It was no longer owned by the railway company. This photograph, entitled "At the Gateway to the Isles", was used by Duncan Macpherson as one of the illustrations in his book 'Lure of the West'. The village of Kyleakin on Skye can just be seen on the extreme left of the photograph, with the Cuillin mountains in the background


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lochalsh Hotel

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s; 1950s

hotel; Station Hotel; Lochalsh Hotel; Kyle of Lochalsh; jetty; Skye

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This building, originally owned by Sir Alexander Matheson, is shown as 'Kyle Cottage' on a map of 1893, but looks substantially larger than the name implies. Sir Alexander's son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold it to the company building the railway to Kyle in about 1897 and it was converted into a hotel. It was called ' The Station Hotel', though it was not beside the station, but next to the jetty where ferries crossed to Skye. In this photograph, it has been greatly enlarged and renamed the Lochalsh Hotel. It was no longer owned by the railway company. This photograph, entitled "At the Gateway to the Isles", was used by Duncan Macpherson as one of the illustrations in his book 'Lure of the West'. The village of Kyleakin on Skye can just be seen on the extreme left of the photograph, with the Cuillin mountains in the background <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />