Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01188
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12766
KEYWORDS
village
water supply
Matheson
Plockton
Plockton

Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate in 1801, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here, who derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing for many years. The white house in the photograph has now been split into two separate houses. Just in front of this house is a refurbished cast iron pump, one of a few standpipes which were still in working order in the 1950s, and which supplied drinking water for the public before water was piped into each house. Sir Kenneth Matheson, owner of the Lochalsh Estate from 1886 to 1919, was instrumental in making the railway company, who were extending the railway line to Kyle of Lochalsh from Stromeferry, to lead a water main to Plockton from Loch Lundie, down Bank Street and Harbour Street to standpipes. Seven cast iron pumps were spaced at 200 yard intervals. The village is now well known for the mild climate brought on by the flow of the Gulf Stream, which allows palm trees to flourish along the main street. It was also the setting for the popular BBC Television series 'Hamish Macbeth'


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

village; water supply; Matheson; Plockton

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Plockton was laid out as a modern village in about 1794 for Lord Seaforth. The new owner of the estate in 1801, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here, who derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing for many years. The white house in the photograph has now been split into two separate houses. Just in front of this house is a refurbished cast iron pump, one of a few standpipes which were still in working order in the 1950s, and which supplied drinking water for the public before water was piped into each house. Sir Kenneth Matheson, owner of the Lochalsh Estate from 1886 to 1919, was instrumental in making the railway company, who were extending the railway line to Kyle of Lochalsh from Stromeferry, to lead a water main to Plockton from Loch Lundie, down Bank Street and Harbour Street to standpipes. Seven cast iron pumps were spaced at 200 yard intervals. The village is now well known for the mild climate brought on by the flow of the Gulf Stream, which allows palm trees to flourish along the main street. It was also the setting for the popular BBC Television series 'Hamish Macbeth' <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />