Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Glenfinnan Monument
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01193
PLACENAME
Glenfinnan
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12770
KEYWORDS
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Loch Shiel
Jacobite
Glenaladale
Glenfinnan
monument
tower
Glenfinnan Monument

At the head of Loch Shiel stands the monument to Prince Charles Edward Stuart. The 18m high, round, battlemented tower was erected in 1815 by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale to commemorate the start of the Jacobite rising seventy years previously, and in tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of the Prince. MacDonald was the grandson of the Prince's host on the night before the Rising. In 1834 the stone statue of a kilted soldier (not the Prince, as is often thought) was added by stone mason John Greenshields of Carluke. The monument was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Glenfinnan Monument

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

1940s

Bonnie Prince Charlie; Loch Shiel; Jacobite; Glenaladale; Glenfinnan; monument; tower

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

At the head of Loch Shiel stands the monument to Prince Charles Edward Stuart. The 18m high, round, battlemented tower was erected in 1815 by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale to commemorate the start of the Jacobite rising seventy years previously, and in tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of the Prince. MacDonald was the grandson of the Prince's host on the night before the Rising. In 1834 the stone statue of a kilted soldier (not the Prince, as is often thought) was added by stone mason John Greenshields of Carluke. The monument was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />