Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01205
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12778
KEYWORDS
village
Main Street
public hall
Kyle of Lochalsh
postcard
Kyle Institute
Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh

Kyle of Lochalsh was a small village consisting of just a few houses, an inn and a ferry crossing to Skye when the railway was extended from Stromeferry in 1897. The village grew rapidly and by the time Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, moved to the area in 1912 and set up his pharmacy near the jetty, there were around eighty dwellings spreading back up the rocky hillsides around Kyle. This black and white image was taken from a coloured card, probably a postcard produced by Macpherson, with an inscription along the lower edge. Although hard to make out, the inscription seems to be (Kyle) Institute and Main Street looking South. The men may be gathered outside the Kyle Institute corrugated building, the first public hall to be built in Kyle. It was near the railway bridge on Main Street, in the centre of the village, and was used for religious services and social gatherings, although one of the conditions of its use was that only two dances could be held each year


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Main Street, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1910s; 1920s

village; Main Street; public hall; Kyle of Lochalsh; postcard; Kyle Institute

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Kyle of Lochalsh was a small village consisting of just a few houses, an inn and a ferry crossing to Skye when the railway was extended from Stromeferry in 1897. The village grew rapidly and by the time Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, moved to the area in 1912 and set up his pharmacy near the jetty, there were around eighty dwellings spreading back up the rocky hillsides around Kyle. This black and white image was taken from a coloured card, probably a postcard produced by Macpherson, with an inscription along the lower edge. Although hard to make out, the inscription seems to be (Kyle) Institute and Main Street looking South. The men may be gathered outside the Kyle Institute corrugated building, the first public hall to be built in Kyle. It was near the railway bridge on Main Street, in the centre of the village, and was used for religious services and social gatherings, although one of the conditions of its use was that only two dances could be held each year <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />