Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunvegan Castle from the shore of Loch Dunvegan
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01220
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12790
KEYWORDS
castle
Dunvegan
Dunvegan Castle from the shore of Loch Dunvegan

Dunvegan Castle is on a rocky promontory jutting into Loch Dunvegan, on Skye. It has been the home of the MacLeods since the 13th century, although they were first named as "of Dunvegan" in an official document of 1439. The castle is believed to have been continuously occupied by the same family since then, longer than any other Scottish Castle. Parts of the castle date from the 13th century, the keep with dungeon from the 14th, and parts from the 18th century. More recently, the whole building has been harled and castellated. It is now a major tourist attraction on Skye, with the public rooms displaying various clan relics. This photograph shows the side of the castle taken from the shore of the loch. This area is now a large garden open to the public


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunvegan Castle from the shore of Loch Dunvegan

INVERNESS: Duirinish

castle; Dunvegan

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Dunvegan Castle is on a rocky promontory jutting into Loch Dunvegan, on Skye. It has been the home of the MacLeods since the 13th century, although they were first named as "of Dunvegan" in an official document of 1439. The castle is believed to have been continuously occupied by the same family since then, longer than any other Scottish Castle. Parts of the castle date from the 13th century, the keep with dungeon from the 14th, and parts from the 18th century. More recently, the whole building has been harled and castellated. It is now a major tourist attraction on Skye, with the public rooms displaying various clan relics. This photograph shows the side of the castle taken from the shore of the loch. This area is now a large garden open to the public <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />