Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Skye ferry at Kyleakin
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01226
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12795
KEYWORDS
ferries
piers vehicle
cars
Kyleakin
castles
ferry boats
Skye ferry at Kyleakin

Kyleakin on Skye has been the crossing point to the mainland for centuries, but the need to transport vehicles as well as goods and passengers increased as roads gradually improved and drivers became more adventurous. This photograph was taken in about 1931 and features a ferry with a turntable and ramps, a huge improvement on the two planks across a rowing boat used previously. The ferry is still only capable of carrying one vehicle at a time, however. The various ferries on the route were gradually enlarged and improved, but it was many years before more than two cars could be carried at a time, so there were often long queues in Kyle. The car in this photograph is a 1930/33 Austin Light 12 - 6, a 6 light saloon (the "light" referring to the number of windows). In the background, the ruins of Caisteal Maol (or Moil) overlook the harbour and the strait.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Skye ferry at Kyleakin

INVERNESS: Strath

1930s

ferries; piers vehicle; cars; Kyleakin; castles; ferry boats

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Kyleakin on Skye has been the crossing point to the mainland for centuries, but the need to transport vehicles as well as goods and passengers increased as roads gradually improved and drivers became more adventurous. This photograph was taken in about 1931 and features a ferry with a turntable and ramps, a huge improvement on the two planks across a rowing boat used previously. The ferry is still only capable of carrying one vehicle at a time, however. The various ferries on the route were gradually enlarged and improved, but it was many years before more than two cars could be carried at a time, so there were often long queues in Kyle. The car in this photograph is a 1930/33 Austin Light 12 - 6, a 6 light saloon (the "light" referring to the number of windows). In the background, the ruins of Caisteal Maol (or Moil) overlook the harbour and the strait. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />