Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmacara House
EXTERNAL ID
HCD01244
PLACENAME
Balmacara
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12811
KEYWORDS
Sir Daniel Hamilton
Balmacara
Matheson
National Trust for Scotland
Balmacara House

In 1801 Sir Hugh Innes purchased what is now the Lochalsh Estate, and built Balmacara House. Situated on the shores of Loch Alsh, it features in a beautiful 1819 William Daniel aquatint. Sir Alexander Matheson purchased the estate in mid-19thC, and lived at Balmacara House while he was building Duncraig Castle which was to be his main residence. In 1918 Sir Daniel and Margaret Hamilton purchased Balmacara, and came to live there permanently in 1925. The main house has been enlarged over the years, and outbuildings have gone through various uses from laundry, stables and barns, to farm workers and gardeners' housing. Balmacara House and the 8,770 acre Lochalsh Estate were bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland, and formally handed over in 1947.

This early photograph was likely one of a series that Duncan Macpherson used as postcards


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmacara House

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

Sir Daniel Hamilton; Balmacara; Matheson; National Trust for Scotland

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

In 1801 Sir Hugh Innes purchased what is now the Lochalsh Estate, and built Balmacara House. Situated on the shores of Loch Alsh, it features in a beautiful 1819 William Daniel aquatint. Sir Alexander Matheson purchased the estate in mid-19thC, and lived at Balmacara House while he was building Duncraig Castle which was to be his main residence. In 1918 Sir Daniel and Margaret Hamilton purchased Balmacara, and came to live there permanently in 1925. The main house has been enlarged over the years, and outbuildings have gone through various uses from laundry, stables and barns, to farm workers and gardeners' housing. Balmacara House and the 8,770 acre Lochalsh Estate were bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland, and formally handed over in 1947. <br /> <br /> This early photograph was likely one of a series that Duncan Macpherson used as postcards <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />