Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Communion Token from Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_ARCH_0002
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1830s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12814
KEYWORDS
religion
communion
church
Communion Token from Plockton

This example of a metal communion token, 2.5cm in diameter, has the inscription 'PLOCKTON 1834' on one side. There is no design visible on the reverse.

Communion tokens were used extensively in the Presbyterian Church in Scotland from the 17th to the 19th centuries. They were simply a metal 'ticket' which allowed the holder to partake of communion, not only in the Established Church but also other Presbyterian churches. As the communion service was an important Sacrament and only took place once or twice a year, the tokens were only given to those in the congregation considered worthy enough. The tokens were usually distributed by the elders, and communicants then surrendered their tokens either approaching the communion table, or when seated.

Early examples, and those perhaps from small congregations, were simple discs with the name of the church, the date and sometimes the initial of the minister punched into lead. Moulds were used later to create more complex designs, and some tokens carried symbols such as the burning bush or a communion cup, as well as inscriptions. By 1900 the tokens were mostly replaced by cards


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Communion Token from Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1830s

religion; communion; church

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Artefact Collection, Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

This example of a metal communion token, 2.5cm in diameter, has the inscription 'PLOCKTON 1834' on one side. There is no design visible on the reverse.<br /> <br /> Communion tokens were used extensively in the Presbyterian Church in Scotland from the 17th to the 19th centuries. They were simply a metal 'ticket' which allowed the holder to partake of communion, not only in the Established Church but also other Presbyterian churches. As the communion service was an important Sacrament and only took place once or twice a year, the tokens were only given to those in the congregation considered worthy enough. The tokens were usually distributed by the elders, and communicants then surrendered their tokens either approaching the communion table, or when seated.<br /> <br /> Early examples, and those perhaps from small congregations, were simple discs with the name of the church, the date and sometimes the initial of the minister punched into lead. Moulds were used later to create more complex designs, and some tokens carried symbols such as the burning bush or a communion cup, as well as inscriptions. By 1900 the tokens were mostly replaced by cards <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />