Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Skerinish Farm House Hotel and Loch Snizort, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_001
PLACENAME
Skerinish
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12827
KEYWORDS
building
buildings
architecture
farming
farm
farms
Skerinish Farm House Hotel and Loch Snizort, Isle of Skye

Skerinish farmhouse sits on a peninsula between the south end of Loch Snizort Beag and Loch Eyre, in the Isle of Skye. Although marked on Ordnance Survey maps as Skerinish, the place is also known as Skirinish or Skurinish.

There has been a house on the site at Skerinish since the early 1700s; at one time it was the home of a MacDonald tacksman. The large house seen in the postcard dates from around 1840, and the cottage and steadings alongside it date from the 1850s, when Skerinish was still a large farm.

By the early 1900s the farmland had been sub-divided into crofts, with a corresponding number of houses built. This change was brought about with the assistance of the Congested Districts Board, which had been established by the government in 1897. The Board's aim was to improve agriculture, the fishing industry, and the spinning and weaving industry, to develop general infrastructure, and to create new small-holdings in overcrowded areas of the Highlands and Islands.

Skerinish House is no longer a hotel, but remains in private ownership.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Skerinish Farm House Hotel and Loch Snizort, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Snizort

building; buildings; architecture; farming; farm; farms

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

Skerinish farmhouse sits on a peninsula between the south end of Loch Snizort Beag and Loch Eyre, in the Isle of Skye. Although marked on Ordnance Survey maps as Skerinish, the place is also known as Skirinish or Skurinish. <br /> <br /> There has been a house on the site at Skerinish since the early 1700s; at one time it was the home of a MacDonald tacksman. The large house seen in the postcard dates from around 1840, and the cottage and steadings alongside it date from the 1850s, when Skerinish was still a large farm. <br /> <br /> By the early 1900s the farmland had been sub-divided into crofts, with a corresponding number of houses built. This change was brought about with the assistance of the Congested Districts Board, which had been established by the government in 1897. The Board's aim was to improve agriculture, the fishing industry, and the spinning and weaving industry, to develop general infrastructure, and to create new small-holdings in overcrowded areas of the Highlands and Islands. <br /> <br /> Skerinish House is no longer a hotel, but remains in private ownership. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />