Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Uig Hotel, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_003_AT
PLACENAME
Uig
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
12830
KEYWORDS
Hotel
building
buildings
architecture
Uig Hotel, Skye

A photograph of the hotel at Uig, a crofting township and fishing port in north west Skye. George Washington Wilson (1823-93), a well-known photographer, once described the village's "beautiful bay, which lies like a horse shoe, with a belt of brown shore and cultivated fields, and a mountain terrace for a background."

Across from the Uig Hotel stands a tower, or folly, built around 1840 by the then landlord Captain Fraser. At that time, local crofters would walk to the tower to pay their rents to Fraser's factor. The Uig Free Church, built in 1847, is also situated near to the hotel. Apparently, an elder of the Free Church brought one of the last charges of witchcraft against a mother and her daughters in 1880. The charge came to nothing, and all survived.

Uig is well known as a fishing port. There was a pier in Uig by 1840, and in 1894 it was greatly extended at a cost of £9000. King Edward Vll and Queen Alexandra 'officially' opened the new pier on 1 September 1902, and a commemorative memorial to the event stands near to what is now the car park. In earlier years, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which still continue today.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Uig Hotel, Skye

INVERNESS: Snizort

2000s

Hotel; building; buildings; architecture

Andrew Taylor

A photograph of the hotel at Uig, a crofting township and fishing port in north west Skye. George Washington Wilson (1823-93), a well-known photographer, once described the village's "beautiful bay, which lies like a horse shoe, with a belt of brown shore and cultivated fields, and a mountain terrace for a background."<br /> <br /> Across from the Uig Hotel stands a tower, or folly, built around 1840 by the then landlord Captain Fraser. At that time, local crofters would walk to the tower to pay their rents to Fraser's factor. The Uig Free Church, built in 1847, is also situated near to the hotel. Apparently, an elder of the Free Church brought one of the last charges of witchcraft against a mother and her daughters in 1880. The charge came to nothing, and all survived. <br /> <br /> Uig is well known as a fishing port. There was a pier in Uig by 1840, and in 1894 it was greatly extended at a cost of £9000. King Edward Vll and Queen Alexandra 'officially' opened the new pier on 1 September 1902, and a commemorative memorial to the event stands near to what is now the car park. In earlier years, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which still continue today.