Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Uig from Idrigill
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_008
PLACENAME
Uig
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12834
KEYWORDS
croft
crofts
crofting
Uig from Idrigill

A postcard of Uig Bay in north west Skye, as seen from the crofting township of Idrigill. George Washington Wilson (1823-93), a well-known photographer, once described the village's "beautiful bay, which lies like a horse shoe, with a belt of brown shore and cultivated fields, and a mountain terrace for a background." Indeed, strips of cultivated land can be clearly seen in the foreground of this image, one of which contains neat rows of haystacks.

A small tower, or folly, built around 1840 by the then landlord Captain Fraser can be seen in the centre of the photograph. At that time, local crofters would walk to the tower to pay their rents to Fraser's factor. The Uig Free Church, built in 1847, is seen to the left of the tower, marked with a cross. Apparently, an elder of the Free Church brought one of the last charges of witchcraft against a mother and her daughters in 1880. The charge came to nothing, and all survived.

Uig is well known as a fishing port. There was a pier in Uig by 1840, and in 1894 it was greatly extended at a cost of £9000. King Edward Vll and Queen Alexandra 'officially' opened the new pier on 1 September 1902, and a commemorative memorial to the event stands near to what is now the car park. In earlier years, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which still continue today.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Uig from Idrigill

INVERNESS: Snizort

croft; crofts; crofting

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

A postcard of Uig Bay in north west Skye, as seen from the crofting township of Idrigill. George Washington Wilson (1823-93), a well-known photographer, once described the village's "beautiful bay, which lies like a horse shoe, with a belt of brown shore and cultivated fields, and a mountain terrace for a background." Indeed, strips of cultivated land can be clearly seen in the foreground of this image, one of which contains neat rows of haystacks. <br /> <br /> A small tower, or folly, built around 1840 by the then landlord Captain Fraser can be seen in the centre of the photograph. At that time, local crofters would walk to the tower to pay their rents to Fraser's factor. The Uig Free Church, built in 1847, is seen to the left of the tower, marked with a cross. Apparently, an elder of the Free Church brought one of the last charges of witchcraft against a mother and her daughters in 1880. The charge came to nothing, and all survived. <br /> <br /> Uig is well known as a fishing port. There was a pier in Uig by 1840, and in 1894 it was greatly extended at a cost of £9000. King Edward Vll and Queen Alexandra 'officially' opened the new pier on 1 September 1902, and a commemorative memorial to the event stands near to what is now the car park. In earlier years, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which still continue today. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>