Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aerial View of the Skye Bridge
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_036
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12859
KEYWORDS
bridges
transport
islands
Aerial View of the Skye Bridge

An aerial view of the Skye bridge, with Kyle of Lochalsh seen on the left of the image, and Kyleakin on the right.

Construction of the Skye Bridge, a single-span concrete arch, began in 1992. The bridge was officially opened in October 1995, replacing the ferry service that had operated between Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin. Travellers were initially charged a toll to cross the bridge, and this caused considerable controversy. After a prolonged campaign to remove the charge, the bridge became toll-free in December 2004.

Part of the bridge rests on Eilean Bàn, a small island located between Kyleakin in the Isle of Skye and Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland. The Eilean Bàn lighthouse, seen in the foreground of this image, was designed by Thomas and David Stevenson and completed in 1857. When the lighthouse became automated, the lighthouse keepers' cottages were put up for sale and were purchased in 1963 by Gavin Maxwell. The naturalist, and author of 'Ring of Bright Water', lived full-time on Eilean Bàn from 1968 until his death in 1969. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1993.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial View of the Skye Bridge

INVERNESS: Strath

1990s

bridges; transport; islands

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

An aerial view of the Skye bridge, with Kyle of Lochalsh seen on the left of the image, and Kyleakin on the right. <br /> <br /> Construction of the Skye Bridge, a single-span concrete arch, began in 1992. The bridge was officially opened in October 1995, replacing the ferry service that had operated between Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin. Travellers were initially charged a toll to cross the bridge, and this caused considerable controversy. After a prolonged campaign to remove the charge, the bridge became toll-free in December 2004.<br /> <br /> Part of the bridge rests on Eilean Bàn, a small island located between Kyleakin in the Isle of Skye and Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland. The Eilean Bàn lighthouse, seen in the foreground of this image, was designed by Thomas and David Stevenson and completed in 1857. When the lighthouse became automated, the lighthouse keepers' cottages were put up for sale and were purchased in 1963 by Gavin Maxwell. The naturalist, and author of 'Ring of Bright Water', lived full-time on Eilean Bàn from 1968 until his death in 1969. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1993. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />