Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Moil and Kyle Ferry, Kyleakin, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_045
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12869
KEYWORDS
castles
ruins
ferries
transport
islands
ferry boats
Castle Moil and Kyle Ferry, Kyleakin, Skye

A postcard of the remains of Castle Moil, which overlook the harbour at the village of Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye, and one of the earlier Skye ferries.

Castle Moil (in Gaelic, Caisteal Maol) was a three-story stronghold of the MacKinnons, dating from the 15th century. Tradition has it that there was a much earlier castle on the site, associated with the fourth MacKinnon chief, Findanus, and his Norwegian wife, a princess nicknamed 'Saucy Mary'. It is said that the pair ran a chain across the narrows and levied a toll on passing vessels.

The ferry boat pictured appears to be quite an early one, capable of carrying a single car on its makeshift 'vehicle deck'. It wasn't until 1930 that the service operating between Kyleakin on Skye, and Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland, welcomed its first turntable ferry. This was the 'Kyleakin', a timber-hulled turntable ferry capable of carrying one car. In 1936, the 'Moil', another timber-hulled turntable ferry, but capable of carrying two cars, arrived.

In 1942 a steel-hulled turntable ferry named 'Cuillin', capable of carrying two cars began working on the Kyle-Kyleakin route, and in 1951 the almost identical 'Lochalsh' entered service. Between 1952 and 1969, turntable ferries capable of carrying four or six cars were in operation, but the growth of private car ownership in the 1950s and 60s meant that these small ferries increasingly struggled to cope with demand. By the late 1960s ferry-users could sometimes queue for up to 12 hours before making the crossing during the summer months.

Finally in 1970 the 28-car ferry 'Kyleakin' entered service, and a year later, she was joined by her sister ship 'Lochalsh'. Despite some initial setbacks, locals and visitors alike were delighted with the improved service. The two ferries worked on the route until 1991, when they were replaced by two 36-car ferries, the 'Loch Fyne' and the 'Loch Dunvegan'. The ferry service operated between Kyleakin and Kyle of Lochalsh until 1995, when it was replaced by the Skye Bridge.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Moil and Kyle Ferry, Kyleakin, Skye

INVERNESS: Strath

1920s

castles; ruins; ferries; transport; islands; ferry boats

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

A postcard of the remains of Castle Moil, which overlook the harbour at the village of Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye, and one of the earlier Skye ferries.<br /> <br /> Castle Moil (in Gaelic, Caisteal Maol) was a three-story stronghold of the MacKinnons, dating from the 15th century. Tradition has it that there was a much earlier castle on the site, associated with the fourth MacKinnon chief, Findanus, and his Norwegian wife, a princess nicknamed 'Saucy Mary'. It is said that the pair ran a chain across the narrows and levied a toll on passing vessels. <br /> <br /> The ferry boat pictured appears to be quite an early one, capable of carrying a single car on its makeshift 'vehicle deck'. It wasn't until 1930 that the service operating between Kyleakin on Skye, and Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland, welcomed its first turntable ferry. This was the 'Kyleakin', a timber-hulled turntable ferry capable of carrying one car. In 1936, the 'Moil', another timber-hulled turntable ferry, but capable of carrying two cars, arrived. <br /> <br /> In 1942 a steel-hulled turntable ferry named 'Cuillin', capable of carrying two cars began working on the Kyle-Kyleakin route, and in 1951 the almost identical 'Lochalsh' entered service. Between 1952 and 1969, turntable ferries capable of carrying four or six cars were in operation, but the growth of private car ownership in the 1950s and 60s meant that these small ferries increasingly struggled to cope with demand. By the late 1960s ferry-users could sometimes queue for up to 12 hours before making the crossing during the summer months.<br /> <br /> Finally in 1970 the 28-car ferry 'Kyleakin' entered service, and a year later, she was joined by her sister ship 'Lochalsh'. Despite some initial setbacks, locals and visitors alike were delighted with the improved service. The two ferries worked on the route until 1991, when they were replaced by two 36-car ferries, the 'Loch Fyne' and the 'Loch Dunvegan'. The ferry service operated between Kyleakin and Kyle of Lochalsh until 1995, when it was replaced by the Skye Bridge. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />