Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Free Church, Post Office, and Cailleach, Kyleakin
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_062
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12886
KEYWORDS
Beinn na Cailleach
Kyleakin
Free Church
post office
construction
Lord Macdonald
Free Church, Post Office, and Cailleach, Kyleakin

This turn of the century view was taken from the shoreline of Kyleakin. The line of houses, set back from the main road, and never having construction on the opposite side, have uninterrupted views across Loch Alsh to Kyle. On the left is the Free Church by J. Pond Macdonald c1896. The large three storey structure housed the general merchants and post office, first receiving post in 1843.



In 1811 landowner Lord Macdonald had grand plans to turn the village into a commercial and industrial centre to be renamed New Liverpool. He commissioned James Gillespie Graham to draw up plans for the town, including large houses, spires and streets with names like Mews Lane and King Street. Only a handful of buildings were constructed before the plan was abandoned with the realization that it was just too remote a location and people would not consider moving there.



Rising behind the houses and only accentuating the ruggedness of the landscape is Beinn na Cailleach at 733m.





This image may be available to purchase.

For further information about purchasing and prices please email

Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Free Church, Post Office, and Cailleach, Kyleakin

INVERNESS: Strath

1900s

Beinn na Cailleach; Kyleakin; Free Church; post office; construction; Lord Macdonald

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This turn of the century view was taken from the shoreline of Kyleakin. The line of houses, set back from the main road, and never having construction on the opposite side, have uninterrupted views across Loch Alsh to Kyle. On the left is the Free Church by J. Pond Macdonald c1896. The large three storey structure housed the general merchants and post office, first receiving post in 1843.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> In 1811 landowner Lord Macdonald had grand plans to turn the village into a commercial and industrial centre to be renamed New Liverpool. He commissioned James Gillespie Graham to draw up plans for the town, including large houses, spires and streets with names like Mews Lane and King Street. Only a handful of buildings were constructed before the plan was abandoned with the realization that it was just too remote a location and people would not consider moving there.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Rising behind the houses and only accentuating the ruggedness of the landscape is Beinn na Cailleach at 733m. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /><br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /><br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br /><br />