Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyleakin
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_065
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12889
KEYWORDS
Gavin Maxwell
Ring of Bright Water
museum
wildlife
Eilean Bàn
Kyleakin

A beautiful summer day shows the village of Kyleakin at its best. This photograph was taken before the Skye bridge was opened in 1995, when the village bustled with activity due to the through ferry traffic from Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland. With only small areas paved to provide vehicle parking, the long green verges at the shore side of the road have escaped construction, providing lovely sea views. Once the bridge opened, the number of people visiting Kyleakin dropped dramatically, but the villagers have worked hard to make the village an interesting place to spend some time, with artworks on the pier and walks in the local area.

Kyleakin was once proposed for much greater expansion, when in 1811 landowner, Lord Macdonald commissioned James Gillespie Graham to design a new town with spires, elegant houses, and streets to be named Mews Lane and King Street. His idea was to turn what would be renamed New Liverpool into a commercial and industrial centre. Construction did start, but barely a handful of houses were built before the realization that people would not move to such a remote place.

Central in the photograph is Eilean Bàn with the D & T Stevenson lighthouse built in 1857 and in use until the 1960s. In 1965 the keeper's cottage was purchased and extensively renovated by Ring of Bright Water author and naturalist, Gavin Maxwell, where he lived until his death in 1969. The property fell into deterioration until it was purchased in 1996 and the Eilean Bàn Trust formed to conserve the island. Boat trips to the island are arranged at the Bright Water Centre in Kyleakin. On the island, visitors can walk the nature trails, visit the wildlife hides and the long room of the keeper's cottage which now houses the Gavin Maxwell Museum.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyleakin

INVERNESS: Strath

1970s

Gavin Maxwell; Ring of Bright Water; museum; wildlife; Eilean Bàn

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

A beautiful summer day shows the village of Kyleakin at its best. This photograph was taken before the Skye bridge was opened in 1995, when the village bustled with activity due to the through ferry traffic from Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland. With only small areas paved to provide vehicle parking, the long green verges at the shore side of the road have escaped construction, providing lovely sea views. Once the bridge opened, the number of people visiting Kyleakin dropped dramatically, but the villagers have worked hard to make the village an interesting place to spend some time, with artworks on the pier and walks in the local area.<br /> <br /> Kyleakin was once proposed for much greater expansion, when in 1811 landowner, Lord Macdonald commissioned James Gillespie Graham to design a new town with spires, elegant houses, and streets to be named Mews Lane and King Street. His idea was to turn what would be renamed New Liverpool into a commercial and industrial centre. Construction did start, but barely a handful of houses were built before the realization that people would not move to such a remote place. <br /> <br /> Central in the photograph is Eilean Bàn with the D & T Stevenson lighthouse built in 1857 and in use until the 1960s. In 1965 the keeper's cottage was purchased and extensively renovated by Ring of Bright Water author and naturalist, Gavin Maxwell, where he lived until his death in 1969. The property fell into deterioration until it was purchased in 1996 and the Eilean Bàn Trust formed to conserve the island. Boat trips to the island are arranged at the Bright Water Centre in Kyleakin. On the island, visitors can walk the nature trails, visit the wildlife hides and the long room of the keeper's cottage which now houses the Gavin Maxwell Museum.