Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
PS 'Fusilier' leaving the pier at Broadford
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_071
PLACENAME
Broadford
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12893
KEYWORDS
ships
ferries
paddle steamers
PS 'Fusilier' leaving the pier at Broadford

This sepia photograph shows the PS 'Fusilier' leaving the pier at Broadford, Isle of Skye. This elegant paddle steamer was built by J MacArthur in Paisley, with engines by Hutson and Corbett, Glasgow. She was built of iron and steel, was 202 feet long, and 281 tonnes. 'Fusilier' was launched in April 1888. During her lifetime, she went through various owners, being renamed on several occasions, including the Lady Orme and Crestawave.

The PS 'Fusilier' took over from the Glencoe on the mail route between Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh, Broadford and Portree in the late 1920s. She was later sold for excursions on the Forth of Clyde, and scrapped in 1938.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

PS 'Fusilier' leaving the pier at Broadford

INVERNESS: Strath

1920s

ships; ferries; paddle steamers

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This sepia photograph shows the PS 'Fusilier' leaving the pier at Broadford, Isle of Skye. This elegant paddle steamer was built by J MacArthur in Paisley, with engines by Hutson and Corbett, Glasgow. She was built of iron and steel, was 202 feet long, and 281 tonnes. 'Fusilier' was launched in April 1888. During her lifetime, she went through various owners, being renamed on several occasions, including the Lady Orme and Crestawave.<br /> <br /> The PS 'Fusilier' took over from the Glencoe on the mail route between Mallaig, Kyle of Lochalsh, Broadford and Portree in the late 1920s. She was later sold for excursions on the Forth of Clyde, and scrapped in 1938. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />