Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Church and Hotel, Broadford, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_074
PLACENAME
Broadford
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12895
KEYWORDS
landscapes
churches
Church and Hotel, Broadford, Skye

This sepia photograph shows turn of the century Broadford with a scattering of buildings making up the village. Until the mid-1850s, Broadford was a very small settlement with just a handful of dwellings. The village grew rapidly in the following decades, becoming after Portree, the second largest settlement on the Isle of Skye. Marble, quarried at nearby Strath, was shipped away from the Broadford pier, a cattle market, and a big increase in passengers and cargo all contributed to making the village an important stop.

The building in the foreground is the Church of Scotland c1841, situated on the main road through the village. In the background is the Broadford Hotel built c1840 but on a site which has had an inn from years previously. A claim to fame is that Broadford Hotel is the original home to Drambuie (Dram Buidheach, or satisfying drink) liqueur. The story is that a secret recipe was given to Capt John MacKinnon by Bonnie Prince Charlie and later handed to the family of James Ross, who registered the Drambuie name in 1893. The golden liqueur made of honey, spices and aged Scotch Whisky was made on the premises by James Ross, and shipped away from the nearby pier. Drambuie has always promoted its close connection with Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Isle of Skye.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Church and Hotel, Broadford, Skye

INVERNESS: Strath

1900s

landscapes; churches

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This sepia photograph shows turn of the century Broadford with a scattering of buildings making up the village. Until the mid-1850s, Broadford was a very small settlement with just a handful of dwellings. The village grew rapidly in the following decades, becoming after Portree, the second largest settlement on the Isle of Skye. Marble, quarried at nearby Strath, was shipped away from the Broadford pier, a cattle market, and a big increase in passengers and cargo all contributed to making the village an important stop.<br /> <br /> The building in the foreground is the Church of Scotland c1841, situated on the main road through the village. In the background is the Broadford Hotel built c1840 but on a site which has had an inn from years previously. A claim to fame is that Broadford Hotel is the original home to Drambuie (Dram Buidheach, or satisfying drink) liqueur. The story is that a secret recipe was given to Capt John MacKinnon by Bonnie Prince Charlie and later handed to the family of James Ross, who registered the Drambuie name in 1893. The golden liqueur made of honey, spices and aged Scotch Whisky was made on the premises by James Ross, and shipped away from the nearby pier. Drambuie has always promoted its close connection with Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Isle of Skye. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>