Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunvegan Hotel, Dunvegan, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_098
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12915
KEYWORDS
inns
hotels
cars
vehicles
Dunvegan Hotel, Dunvegan, Skye

Pictured here, the Dunvegan Hotel is situated centrally in the MacLeod estate village of Dunvegan. Over the years the main settlement had moved from immediately surrounding the Castle, spreading out around the head of Loch Dunvegan. The Dunvegan Hotel was one of several simple buildings designed or altered by Alexander Ross c1898.

As travellers and trade increased, the structure of the hotel was altered to accommodate the numbers. This photograph shows a tea room added as an extension of the hotel. With views to the head of Loch Dunvegan and across the loch to MacLeod's Tables, this would be a lovely place to sit having tea and enjoying the views. The sign above the main entrance reads, Motor Hiring and Boating, both attracting and keeping the visitors in the area. For many years, until about 1947 it was a Temperance Hotel. It was Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod who urged the licensing court to grant a license to the hotel.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunvegan Hotel, Dunvegan, Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1920s

inns; hotels; cars; vehicles

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

Pictured here, the Dunvegan Hotel is situated centrally in the MacLeod estate village of Dunvegan. Over the years the main settlement had moved from immediately surrounding the Castle, spreading out around the head of Loch Dunvegan. The Dunvegan Hotel was one of several simple buildings designed or altered by Alexander Ross c1898.<br /> <br /> As travellers and trade increased, the structure of the hotel was altered to accommodate the numbers. This photograph shows a tea room added as an extension of the hotel. With views to the head of Loch Dunvegan and across the loch to MacLeod's Tables, this would be a lovely place to sit having tea and enjoying the views. The sign above the main entrance reads, Motor Hiring and Boating, both attracting and keeping the visitors in the area. For many years, until about 1947 it was a Temperance Hotel. It was Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod who urged the licensing court to grant a license to the hotel. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>