Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kilmuir Graveyard, Dunvegan, The Burial Place of the MacLeods
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_103
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12919
KEYWORDS
chapels
churches
ruins
cemetery
cemeteries
graveyard
graveyards
burial ground
burial grounds
clan chiefs
Kilmuir Graveyard, Dunvegan, The Burial Place of the MacLeods

This postcard shows Kilmuir graveyard in Dunvegan situated on high ground overlooking Loch Dunvegan. A stone wall encloses the gravestones surrounding the ruins of St Mary's Chapel. The roofless ruin has a date of 1694 over the north entrance, but the condition of some stones predates this period. There are also late medieval gravestones and some 18th century table stones. Central is an obelisk from the early 18th century, in memory of Lord Thomas Frazer, father of Simon Fraser of Lovat, who died while visiting the Chief at Dunvegan Castle in 1699.

For many years the principal burial site for the MacLeod Chiefs was at Rodel, Isle of Harris, but latterly the Clan Chiefs were buried at Kilmuir. Within the walls of the ruin are buried the MacLeod Chiefs since the 24th Chief, John Norman who died in 1835. He and his wife Anne and his daughter Emily, the historian, had been very involved in life at Dunvegan and improvements to the Castle. The most recent burial was the 29th Chief, John MacLeod who was buried there 24th February 2007. Also many of the famous MacCrimmons, the hereditary pipers to the MacLeods were buried here. A tablet is placed on the wall of the church in memory of these great pipers.

Other MacLeod families have burial areas in the graveyard, including the MacLeods of Suardal, Herebost, Struan, Hamer Greshornish and Orbost. The hereditary wardens of Dunvegan Castle, the McSweens of Roag, one of Skye's oldest tribes are on the west side of the churchyard, with carved grave slabs with claymore and foliage designs on them. The MacLeod names dominate but many other families are buried here as well.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kilmuir Graveyard, Dunvegan, The Burial Place of the MacLeods

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1920s

chapels; churches; ruins; cemetery; cemeteries; graveyard; graveyards; burial ground; burial grounds; clan chiefs

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This postcard shows Kilmuir graveyard in Dunvegan situated on high ground overlooking Loch Dunvegan. A stone wall encloses the gravestones surrounding the ruins of St Mary's Chapel. The roofless ruin has a date of 1694 over the north entrance, but the condition of some stones predates this period. There are also late medieval gravestones and some 18th century table stones. Central is an obelisk from the early 18th century, in memory of Lord Thomas Frazer, father of Simon Fraser of Lovat, who died while visiting the Chief at Dunvegan Castle in 1699.<br /> <br /> For many years the principal burial site for the MacLeod Chiefs was at Rodel, Isle of Harris, but latterly the Clan Chiefs were buried at Kilmuir. Within the walls of the ruin are buried the MacLeod Chiefs since the 24th Chief, John Norman who died in 1835. He and his wife Anne and his daughter Emily, the historian, had been very involved in life at Dunvegan and improvements to the Castle. The most recent burial was the 29th Chief, John MacLeod who was buried there 24th February 2007. Also many of the famous MacCrimmons, the hereditary pipers to the MacLeods were buried here. A tablet is placed on the wall of the church in memory of these great pipers.<br /> <br /> Other MacLeod families have burial areas in the graveyard, including the MacLeods of Suardal, Herebost, Struan, Hamer Greshornish and Orbost. The hereditary wardens of Dunvegan Castle, the McSweens of Roag, one of Skye's oldest tribes are on the west side of the churchyard, with carved grave slabs with claymore and foliage designs on them. The MacLeod names dominate but many other families are buried here as well. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>