Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Valtos War Memorial, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_138
PLACENAME
Valtos
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmuir
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12932
KEYWORDS
war memorials
schools
Valtos War Memorial, Isle of Skye

The Valtos (Bhaltos) War Memorial is situated at Culnacnoc on the Trotternish peninsula, Isle of Skye, in front of what was the local school. The Memorial was unveiled on 9th August 1921 by Captain Nicol Martin of Glendale, and commemorated initially the seven former pupils of Valtos School who died in WWI. Other names of those who served in various capacities during both World Wars were added later.

The memorial is constructed of stone, with a three stepped base, tapered pedestal and a draped funerary urn on the top. There are inscriptions on two sides of the pedestal and the whole memorial is enclosed with a square of metal railings. The £150.00 cost of the memorial was met by former school pupils from home and abroad.

The school pictured in the background may originally have been a Gaelic one, when Iain MacNab (Iain Ruadh Mac an Alba) was the teacher. William Mackenzie was appointed Headmaster around 1879, retiring in 1915 to be succeeded by his eldest daughter Abby. The school buildings gradually deteriorated and in 1933 the schoolhouse became uninhabitable. By 1939 the classrooms were unusable as well. The building was taken down, and it is understood that the stone was used in the constuction of the Nostie Bridge Power Station in Lochalsh which opened in 1948.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Valtos War Memorial, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Kilmuir

1930s

war memorials; schools

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

The Valtos (Bhaltos) War Memorial is situated at Culnacnoc on the Trotternish peninsula, Isle of Skye, in front of what was the local school. The Memorial was unveiled on 9th August 1921 by Captain Nicol Martin of Glendale, and commemorated initially the seven former pupils of Valtos School who died in WWI. Other names of those who served in various capacities during both World Wars were added later.<br /> <br /> The memorial is constructed of stone, with a three stepped base, tapered pedestal and a draped funerary urn on the top. There are inscriptions on two sides of the pedestal and the whole memorial is enclosed with a square of metal railings. The £150.00 cost of the memorial was met by former school pupils from home and abroad. <br /> <br /> The school pictured in the background may originally have been a Gaelic one, when Iain MacNab (Iain Ruadh Mac an Alba) was the teacher. William Mackenzie was appointed Headmaster around 1879, retiring in 1915 to be succeeded by his eldest daughter Abby. The school buildings gradually deteriorated and in 1933 the schoolhouse became uninhabitable. By 1939 the classrooms were unusable as well. The building was taken down, and it is understood that the stone was used in the constuction of the Nostie Bridge Power Station in Lochalsh which opened in 1948. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />