Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
School and Churches. Kilmuir, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_162
PLACENAME
Balgown
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmuir
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12954
KEYWORDS
churches
school
United Free Church
villages
School and Churches. Kilmuir, Skye

The school pictured and the Free Church to its left, are situated in Balgowan (Balgown), in the parish of Kilmuir on the north west of the Trotternish peninsula on Skye. The stone-built school comprising two large rooms, offices, and with the schoolhouse attached, was built in 1875 by Alexander Ross. It served the community made up of several small villages, including Bornesketaig, Kilvaxter and Linicro, with other schools to the north in Kilmaluag and the south in Uig.

The Free Church was built in 1860, also by Alexander Ross, following the Disruption in the Presbyterian Church in 1843. It had a fine Manse unfortunately ruined by fire in 1964. The building just seen on the far left of the image is possibly the Church of Scotland, built in 1924 on the site of the United Free Church which was destroyed by a storm in 1920.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

School and Churches. Kilmuir, Skye

INVERNESS: Kilmuir

1930s; 1940s

churches; school; United Free Church; villages

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

The school pictured and the Free Church to its left, are situated in Balgowan (Balgown), in the parish of Kilmuir on the north west of the Trotternish peninsula on Skye. The stone-built school comprising two large rooms, offices, and with the schoolhouse attached, was built in 1875 by Alexander Ross. It served the community made up of several small villages, including Bornesketaig, Kilvaxter and Linicro, with other schools to the north in Kilmaluag and the south in Uig.<br /> <br /> The Free Church was built in 1860, also by Alexander Ross, following the Disruption in the Presbyterian Church in 1843. It had a fine Manse unfortunately ruined by fire in 1964. The building just seen on the far left of the image is possibly the Church of Scotland, built in 1924 on the site of the United Free Church which was destroyed by a storm in 1920. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />