Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Monkstadt House, Kilmuir, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_163
PLACENAME
Kilmuir
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12955
KEYWORDS
Prince Charles Edward Stuart
Jacobites
Monkstadt House, Kilmuir, Skye

Monkstadt House was built for Sir Alexander Macdonald of Sleat with construction beginning in 1732. It is situated 5 miles from Duntulm Castle, and replaced the Castle as the seat of the Macdonalds. Stones from Duntulm Castle were used in its construction. It is said to have been the first house on Skye with a slated roof. The interior was remodelled by James Gillespie Graham in early 1800s. The Macdonalds stayed until 1815 when they moved their base to Armadale in Sleat.

The house later became the dwelling for successive tacksmen and after the land was laid out for crofts it became the house of one of them. It gradually fell into disrepair and by the 1950s was a ruin. In recent years it has been renovated extensively for tourist accommodation.

Monkstadt has a strong connection with Bonnie Prince Charlie. After crossing from Uist with Flora Macdonald, they landed very near Monkstadt. Sir Alexander Macdonald was not a supporter of the Prince, but his wife, Lady Margaret, who was Flora's aunt, was sympathetic to the Jacobite cause and sent food and drink to the fugitive. When darkness fell the Prince was taken on to Kingsburgh when he again met Flora, who arrived by a different route. Together they continued on to Portree where they parted company.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Monkstadt House, Kilmuir, Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

Prince Charles Edward Stuart; Jacobites

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

Monkstadt House was built for Sir Alexander Macdonald of Sleat with construction beginning in 1732. It is situated 5 miles from Duntulm Castle, and replaced the Castle as the seat of the Macdonalds. Stones from Duntulm Castle were used in its construction. It is said to have been the first house on Skye with a slated roof. The interior was remodelled by James Gillespie Graham in early 1800s. The Macdonalds stayed until 1815 when they moved their base to Armadale in Sleat.<br /> <br /> The house later became the dwelling for successive tacksmen and after the land was laid out for crofts it became the house of one of them. It gradually fell into disrepair and by the 1950s was a ruin. In recent years it has been renovated extensively for tourist accommodation.<br /> <br /> Monkstadt has a strong connection with Bonnie Prince Charlie. After crossing from Uist with Flora Macdonald, they landed very near Monkstadt. Sir Alexander Macdonald was not a supporter of the Prince, but his wife, Lady Margaret, who was Flora's aunt, was sympathetic to the Jacobite cause and sent food and drink to the fugitive. When darkness fell the Prince was taken on to Kingsburgh when he again met Flora, who arrived by a different route. Together they continued on to Portree where they parted company. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />