Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Harbour, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_169
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12961
KEYWORDS
Royal Hotel
MacNab's Inn
pier
yachts
herring fleet
Johnson and Boswell
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Portree Harbour, Skye

This photograph was taken from the Portree pier with the slipway on the left. Portree grew from the pier and harbour area which would have been central to the daily life and activities of the town. Until the late 1950s there were daily steamers arriving in Portree. They carried passengers, cargo and mail. With upgrading of roads throughout the island, which took considerable time, the pier became less important for transport to the town and throughout the island. Over the years the pier has seen very busy times with herring fleets packed into the harbour. There still is a commercial fishing industry out of Portree, but fewer boats than in past years. Because of its sheltered position, the harbour provides a good stopping spot for yachts and pleasure crafts, and is busy in the summer months.

As life around the harbour increased, buildings were constructed to accommodate the increasing population. The houses built along the natural curve of the harbour on Beaumont Crescent were solid, substantial dwellings, advertised in 1839 as 'neatly furnished and well adapted for respectable families'. Behind this row of houses is Quay Brae leading into the centre of the town. Rising stately above the crescent in this photograph is the Royal Hotel which replaced the original McNab's Inn. The hotel is renowned for being the place where Bonnie Prince Charlie bade his farewell to Flora MacDonald, and later when Johnson and Boswell dined in 1773.

In February 1963, the Royal Hotel was severely damaged by fire, which broke out in an unoccupied wing of the building likely due to faulty wiring. Quickly the local fire brigade assembled, and brigades from Kyle of Lochalsh and Inverness were dispatched as well as all local units. For some time it was thought that the whole block which included shops and houses would be lost, and people and goods were quickly evacuated. However, the wind dropped, and the fire was contained to one wing of the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt, not to this original design, but still remains a busy, central hotel in the town.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Harbour, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1960s

Royal Hotel; MacNab's Inn; pier; yachts; herring fleet; Johnson and Boswell; Bonnie Prince Charlie

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This photograph was taken from the Portree pier with the slipway on the left. Portree grew from the pier and harbour area which would have been central to the daily life and activities of the town. Until the late 1950s there were daily steamers arriving in Portree. They carried passengers, cargo and mail. With upgrading of roads throughout the island, which took considerable time, the pier became less important for transport to the town and throughout the island. Over the years the pier has seen very busy times with herring fleets packed into the harbour. There still is a commercial fishing industry out of Portree, but fewer boats than in past years. Because of its sheltered position, the harbour provides a good stopping spot for yachts and pleasure crafts, and is busy in the summer months.<br /> <br /> As life around the harbour increased, buildings were constructed to accommodate the increasing population. The houses built along the natural curve of the harbour on Beaumont Crescent were solid, substantial dwellings, advertised in 1839 as 'neatly furnished and well adapted for respectable families'. Behind this row of houses is Quay Brae leading into the centre of the town. Rising stately above the crescent in this photograph is the Royal Hotel which replaced the original McNab's Inn. The hotel is renowned for being the place where Bonnie Prince Charlie bade his farewell to Flora MacDonald, and later when Johnson and Boswell dined in 1773.<br /> <br /> In February 1963, the Royal Hotel was severely damaged by fire, which broke out in an unoccupied wing of the building likely due to faulty wiring. Quickly the local fire brigade assembled, and brigades from Kyle of Lochalsh and Inverness were dispatched as well as all local units. For some time it was thought that the whole block which included shops and houses would be lost, and people and goods were quickly evacuated. However, the wind dropped, and the fire was contained to one wing of the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt, not to this original design, but still remains a busy, central hotel in the town. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />