Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
PS 'Fusillier' at Portree Bay
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_171
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12963
KEYWORDS
Fusilier
paddle steamer
Beinn Tianavaig
pier
Telford
PS 'Fusillier' at Portree Bay

MacBraynes' paddle steamer 'Fusilier' is shown here at Portree Pier. For a number of years it was the mailboat on the Mallaig/Portree route. The Fusilier was built by J MacArthur, Paisley and launched in 1888. The 202 foot, 281 tonne vessel was constructed of iron and steel. In the 1930s it changed owners and was renamed, first as the Lady Orme, and finally the Crestawave. It was withdrawn from service in 1938.

The Telford pier at Portree was built using the natural outcrop called the Meall or Lump. From the earliest days the pier would have been the centre of daily life, and the town of Portree grew up from around the pier and expanded inland. Portree Bay is a natural harbour with hills rising around the opening to the Sound of Raasay, creating a good shelter even in very severe weather conditions. Beinn Tianavaig (1345 feet) rises in the background and helps provide shelter from the strong southwest winds.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

PS 'Fusillier' at Portree Bay

INVERNESS: Portree

1920s

Fusilier; paddle steamer; Beinn Tianavaig; pier; Telford

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

MacBraynes' paddle steamer 'Fusilier' is shown here at Portree Pier. For a number of years it was the mailboat on the Mallaig/Portree route. The Fusilier was built by J MacArthur, Paisley and launched in 1888. The 202 foot, 281 tonne vessel was constructed of iron and steel. In the 1930s it changed owners and was renamed, first as the Lady Orme, and finally the Crestawave. It was withdrawn from service in 1938.<br /> <br /> The Telford pier at Portree was built using the natural outcrop called the Meall or Lump. From the earliest days the pier would have been the centre of daily life, and the town of Portree grew up from around the pier and expanded inland. Portree Bay is a natural harbour with hills rising around the opening to the Sound of Raasay, creating a good shelter even in very severe weather conditions. Beinn Tianavaig (1345 feet) rises in the background and helps provide shelter from the strong southwest winds. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />