Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_182
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12971
KEYWORDS
harbours
villages
Telford
yachts
Portree

Portree harbour lies picturesquely situated overlooking the bay, as seen from the stern of a boat, its wake just visible in the photograph. The bay is spacious, with a depth of 5 - 6 fathoms, and at one time accommodated a large number of sailing vessels. The bottom is of strong clay which affords excellent holding ground for ships at anchor. However the loch is nearly dry at low tide, so that despite the construction of a pier, steamers and other larger vessels had to anchor in the bay and ferry passengers and goods ashore.

A fine steam yacht lies at anchor, with the substantial Georgian houses of Beaumont Crescent behind and Quay Street edging the Telford-designed harbour on the left. Douglas Row was constructed along Quay Street (originally Shore Street), with a series of dormer windows, extended around 1870. Now painted in a series of cheery colours, the buildings are a modern recognizable feature of the harbour area. On the hill above is the octagonal tower which has been variously described as a beacon, apothecary's tower and memorial. Plans for it were referred to in the Inverness Courier of 1834 and despite being severley damaged by a storm in 1978, the tower was rebuilt and remains a popular viewpoint.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

1920s

harbours; villages; Telford; yachts

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

Portree harbour lies picturesquely situated overlooking the bay, as seen from the stern of a boat, its wake just visible in the photograph. The bay is spacious, with a depth of 5 - 6 fathoms, and at one time accommodated a large number of sailing vessels. The bottom is of strong clay which affords excellent holding ground for ships at anchor. However the loch is nearly dry at low tide, so that despite the construction of a pier, steamers and other larger vessels had to anchor in the bay and ferry passengers and goods ashore.<br /> <br /> A fine steam yacht lies at anchor, with the substantial Georgian houses of Beaumont Crescent behind and Quay Street edging the Telford-designed harbour on the left. Douglas Row was constructed along Quay Street (originally Shore Street), with a series of dormer windows, extended around 1870. Now painted in a series of cheery colours, the buildings are a modern recognizable feature of the harbour area. On the hill above is the octagonal tower which has been variously described as a beacon, apothecary's tower and memorial. Plans for it were referred to in the Inverness Courier of 1834 and despite being severley damaged by a storm in 1978, the tower was rebuilt and remains a popular viewpoint. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />