Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Isle of Skye Portree from Fisherfield
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_189
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12976
KEYWORDS
Portree
harbour
Fisherfield
Bayfield
Sir James Macdonald
crofts
agriculture
Somerled
Isle of Skye Portree from Fisherfield

This photograph looks north to the town of Portree, on the Isle of Skye. Sir James Macdonald of Sleat, in 1763, had plans for the economic and agricultural development of the town and the island, but tragically he died aged only 24. His grand plans were never fulfilled, but the town gradually grew around the sheltered harbour area which provided the centre to daily life and commerce of the area, and became the largest town on the island.

The shoreline area on the right is called Bayfield, and on the left, Fisherfield. Small croft houses were built along the shoreline of Fisherfield, with the croft area stretching behind in long narrow strips. With gradual improvement to the roads, the pier and harbour played less of a role in the economy of the island. The town stretched inland with construction of houses and businesses away from the harbour, and around the main Somerled Square area. Central in this photograph is the side-on steep roof of the Church of Scotland, in Somerled Square.

The substantial white painted building, prominent in this photograph is the Royal Hotel. The hotel is renowned for being the place where Bonnie Prince Charlie bade his farewell to Flora MacDonald, and later where Johnson and Boswell dined in 1773. In February 1963, the Royal Hotel was severely damaged by fire, which broke out in an unoccupied wing of the building likely due to faulty wiring. Quickly the local fire brigade assembled, and brigades from Kyle of Lochalsh and Inverness were dispatched as well as all local units. For some time it was thought that the whole block which included shops and houses would be lost, and people and goods were quickly evacuated. However, the wind dropped and the fire was contained to one wing of the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt, not to the original design, but still remains a busy, central hotel in the town.

Visible in the left of the photograph, the house with extension to the back and established trees surrounding is Seafield House. This was once home to the well known food writer, author and journalist Derek Cooper. The house is now privately owned.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Isle of Skye Portree from Fisherfield

INVERNESS: Portree

1950s

Portree; harbour; Fisherfield; Bayfield; Sir James Macdonald; crofts; agriculture; Somerled

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This photograph looks north to the town of Portree, on the Isle of Skye. Sir James Macdonald of Sleat, in 1763, had plans for the economic and agricultural development of the town and the island, but tragically he died aged only 24. His grand plans were never fulfilled, but the town gradually grew around the sheltered harbour area which provided the centre to daily life and commerce of the area, and became the largest town on the island.<br /> <br /> The shoreline area on the right is called Bayfield, and on the left, Fisherfield. Small croft houses were built along the shoreline of Fisherfield, with the croft area stretching behind in long narrow strips. With gradual improvement to the roads, the pier and harbour played less of a role in the economy of the island. The town stretched inland with construction of houses and businesses away from the harbour, and around the main Somerled Square area. Central in this photograph is the side-on steep roof of the Church of Scotland, in Somerled Square.<br /> <br /> The substantial white painted building, prominent in this photograph is the Royal Hotel. The hotel is renowned for being the place where Bonnie Prince Charlie bade his farewell to Flora MacDonald, and later where Johnson and Boswell dined in 1773. In February 1963, the Royal Hotel was severely damaged by fire, which broke out in an unoccupied wing of the building likely due to faulty wiring. Quickly the local fire brigade assembled, and brigades from Kyle of Lochalsh and Inverness were dispatched as well as all local units. For some time it was thought that the whole block which included shops and houses would be lost, and people and goods were quickly evacuated. However, the wind dropped and the fire was contained to one wing of the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt, not to the original design, but still remains a busy, central hotel in the town.<br /> <br /> Visible in the left of the photograph, the house with extension to the back and established trees surrounding is Seafield House. This was once home to the well known food writer, author and journalist Derek Cooper. The house is now privately owned. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />