Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree from S.W.
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_190
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12977
KEYWORDS
Portree
Episcopal church
Bayfield
Fisherfield
crofts
Meall
church
Gathering Hall
Portree from S.W.

This photograph looks north to the town of Portree, on the Isle of Skye. Sir James Macdonald of Sleat, in 1763, had plans for the economic and agricultural development of the town and the island, but tragically he died young. His grand plans were never fulfilled, but the town gradually grew around the sheltered harbour area which provided the centre to daily life and commerce of the area, and became the largest town on the island.

The shoreline area on the right is called Bayfield, and on the left, Fisherfield. Small croft houses were built along the shoreline of Fisherfield, with the crofts stretching behind in long narrow strips. With gradual improvement to the roads, the pier and harbour played less of a role in the economy of the island, the town stretched inland with construction of houses and businesses away from the harbour, and around the main Somerled Square area.

The Meall or Lump is the natural promontory which juts out into Loch Portree. On one side, the lump provided a natural base for the construction of the pier and slipway. In early days, the pier would have been central to the daily life of Portree with fishing and transport of people, mail and goods all being done by sea. The Meall was laid out as a pleasure park in the early 19th century. Stone was quarried from there later, some of it being used to construct the Skye Gathering Hall in 1879. The Skye Highland Games have been held on the Lump every summer since 1877.

Central left in the photograph, and prominent on the bare fields is the Episcopal Church built 1884, with its distinctive tower. As early as 1892 it is recorded that repairs had to be carried out on the tower. By c1915 the tower needed a replacement window, and the floor needed to be re-hung. The Tower provided a constant list of repairs requiring attention and expense, and was finally taken down in 1953.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree from S.W.

INVERNESS: Portree

1910s

Portree; Episcopal church; Bayfield; Fisherfield; crofts; Meall; church; Gathering Hall

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This photograph looks north to the town of Portree, on the Isle of Skye. Sir James Macdonald of Sleat, in 1763, had plans for the economic and agricultural development of the town and the island, but tragically he died young. His grand plans were never fulfilled, but the town gradually grew around the sheltered harbour area which provided the centre to daily life and commerce of the area, and became the largest town on the island.<br /> <br /> The shoreline area on the right is called Bayfield, and on the left, Fisherfield. Small croft houses were built along the shoreline of Fisherfield, with the crofts stretching behind in long narrow strips. With gradual improvement to the roads, the pier and harbour played less of a role in the economy of the island, the town stretched inland with construction of houses and businesses away from the harbour, and around the main Somerled Square area.<br /> <br /> The Meall or Lump is the natural promontory which juts out into Loch Portree. On one side, the lump provided a natural base for the construction of the pier and slipway. In early days, the pier would have been central to the daily life of Portree with fishing and transport of people, mail and goods all being done by sea. The Meall was laid out as a pleasure park in the early 19th century. Stone was quarried from there later, some of it being used to construct the Skye Gathering Hall in 1879. The Skye Highland Games have been held on the Lump every summer since 1877. <br /> <br /> Central left in the photograph, and prominent on the bare fields is the Episcopal Church built 1884, with its distinctive tower. As early as 1892 it is recorded that repairs had to be carried out on the tower. By c1915 the tower needed a replacement window, and the floor needed to be re-hung. The Tower provided a constant list of repairs requiring attention and expense, and was finally taken down in 1953. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />