Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Elgin Hostel for Boys, Portree, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_193
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12980
KEYWORDS
hostels
local authority buildings
schools
Elgin Hostel for Boys, Portree, Skye

The Elgin Hostel, designed by James Shearer, in Portree was built in the early 1930s to provide accommodation for the boys attending Portree High School. At the time, Portree High School covered a large geographic area, with pupils coming from North Uist, Harris, Eigg, Soay, as well as all the outlying communities throughout Skye.

The Elgin Hostel was officially opened on 12th September 1933 by the Duke and Duchess of York, whose duties at that time included a visit to the spinners and weavers at Portnalong, and a visit to Dunvegan Castle where they were entertained by Sir Reginald MacLeod of MacLeod, 27th Chief of the MacLeods.

With upgrading of roads on Skye, and high schools being built in the Outer Isles, the need for housing a large number of students declined. Use of the building as a hostel changed and it became part of Portree High School. It is currently (2010) used for Community Education, and houses the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Elgin Hostel for Boys, Portree, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

hostels; local authority buildings; schools

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

The Elgin Hostel, designed by James Shearer, in Portree was built in the early 1930s to provide accommodation for the boys attending Portree High School. At the time, Portree High School covered a large geographic area, with pupils coming from North Uist, Harris, Eigg, Soay, as well as all the outlying communities throughout Skye.<br /> <br /> The Elgin Hostel was officially opened on 12th September 1933 by the Duke and Duchess of York, whose duties at that time included a visit to the spinners and weavers at Portnalong, and a visit to Dunvegan Castle where they were entertained by Sir Reginald MacLeod of MacLeod, 27th Chief of the MacLeods.<br /> <br /> With upgrading of roads on Skye, and high schools being built in the Outer Isles, the need for housing a large number of students declined. Use of the building as a hostel changed and it became part of Portree High School. It is currently (2010) used for Community Education, and houses the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />