Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree from the Meall, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_194
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12981
KEYWORDS
villages
shops
hotels
J.G. Mackay
Portree from the Meall, Skye

'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage', from where this photograph was taken, appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly (and somewhat less attractively) referred to now as The Lump. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald.

The main buildings of interest in this view are the Royal Hotel on the left of centre, mostly hidden behind the tree, and Gladstone Buildings, the gable end of which has a painted sign "The General Stores J.G. MacKay". John Gunn MacKay was born in Lochalsh in 1849. His mother was from Skye whilst his father a schoolmaster from Sutherland. After working successfully in Glasgow as a Draper, he moved to Portree in 1885, opening the General Stores on Quay Brae, close to the harbour. The name Gladstone Buildings is an indication of MacKay's politics. He was an ardent supporter of the Land League and the rights of crofters, as well as Gaelic affairs, shinty and an authority on Highland clans and their tartans.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree from the Meall, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1930s

villages; shops; hotels; J.G. Mackay

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage', from where this photograph was taken, appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly (and somewhat less attractively) referred to now as The Lump. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald. <br /> <br /> The main buildings of interest in this view are the Royal Hotel on the left of centre, mostly hidden behind the tree, and Gladstone Buildings, the gable end of which has a painted sign "The General Stores J.G. MacKay". John Gunn MacKay was born in Lochalsh in 1849. His mother was from Skye whilst his father a schoolmaster from Sutherland. After working successfully in Glasgow as a Draper, he moved to Portree in 1885, opening the General Stores on Quay Brae, close to the harbour. The name Gladstone Buildings is an indication of MacKay's politics. He was an ardent supporter of the Land League and the rights of crofters, as well as Gaelic affairs, shinty and an authority on Highland clans and their tartans. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />