Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_195
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12982
KEYWORDS
woollen mills
Portree Woollen Mill
textiles
tweed
textile industry
Portree

The millpond above the village of Portree provided power for the woollen mill situated just below it. The mill was built in the 1880s and taken over by James Pringle and Company of Inverness in 1944. However a smaller woollen carding and spinning factory was recorded in the 1850s, set up by the Committee for the Management of the Destitution Fund. Twenty people were employed there, as well as many hundreds outwith the factory, knitting stockings. By the late 1950s the mill carried out some of the early stages of cloth production before sending it to be finished elsewhere. However, blankets were woven locally, as well as tweeds and bedcovers, with some 30 to 40 people employed at peak times. During the summer, the mill became a tourist attraction for those interested in watching weavers in action, providing an opportunity to sell some of the goods manufactured in the mill.

In the background, the village of Portree nestles round the bay, with the Isle of Raasay in the distance.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

1930s; 1940s

woollen mills; Portree Woollen Mill; textiles; tweed; textile industry

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

The millpond above the village of Portree provided power for the woollen mill situated just below it. The mill was built in the 1880s and taken over by James Pringle and Company of Inverness in 1944. However a smaller woollen carding and spinning factory was recorded in the 1850s, set up by the Committee for the Management of the Destitution Fund. Twenty people were employed there, as well as many hundreds outwith the factory, knitting stockings. By the late 1950s the mill carried out some of the early stages of cloth production before sending it to be finished elsewhere. However, blankets were woven locally, as well as tweeds and bedcovers, with some 30 to 40 people employed at peak times. During the summer, the mill became a tourist attraction for those interested in watching weavers in action, providing an opportunity to sell some of the goods manufactured in the mill. <br /> <br /> In the background, the village of Portree nestles round the bay, with the Isle of Raasay in the distance. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />