Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beal Point, Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_196
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12983
KEYWORDS
graves
hermits
saints coasts
Skye
postcard
churches
gravestones chapels
Beal Point, Portree

The rocky shore pictured and the cliffs beyond are situated just to the north of Portree. The Beal, Bile or Biel, an area of pasture for grazing cattle, lies below Dun Torvaig and the crofting township of Torvaig. The grassy sloping field, hemmed in by steep cliffs behind and the sea in front, may have been the location of a cell or chapel of Talorgan, one of several solitary holy men drawn to these once remote areas in times gone by.

An ancient Church and burying ground, known as Bile Chapel, is marked on an Admiralty chart of 1847, and in 1914 the remains of a small church, with walling 84 cm thick and surrounded by a burial ground was described in the parish Statistical Account. Sadly, by the end of the century, a few scattered stones were all that indicated the location of a building over 8 metres long and 4 metres wide. The unfenced graveyard fell into disuse when the one in Portree was opened in the mid-18th century however a single gravestone remains intact at Bile. The stone marks the grave of Richard Williams, Captain's Coxswain on H.M.S. Porcupine, a naval survey vessel engaged in hydro-graphic surveys in north west Scotland as well as further afield. Williams apparently committed suicide in February 1861, and perhaps for this reason was buried outwith Portree graveyard.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beal Point, Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

1930s; 1940s

graves; hermits; saints coasts; Skye; postcard; churches; gravestones chapels

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

The rocky shore pictured and the cliffs beyond are situated just to the north of Portree. The Beal, Bile or Biel, an area of pasture for grazing cattle, lies below Dun Torvaig and the crofting township of Torvaig. The grassy sloping field, hemmed in by steep cliffs behind and the sea in front, may have been the location of a cell or chapel of Talorgan, one of several solitary holy men drawn to these once remote areas in times gone by.<br /> <br /> An ancient Church and burying ground, known as Bile Chapel, is marked on an Admiralty chart of 1847, and in 1914 the remains of a small church, with walling 84 cm thick and surrounded by a burial ground was described in the parish Statistical Account. Sadly, by the end of the century, a few scattered stones were all that indicated the location of a building over 8 metres long and 4 metres wide. The unfenced graveyard fell into disuse when the one in Portree was opened in the mid-18th century however a single gravestone remains intact at Bile. The stone marks the grave of Richard Williams, Captain's Coxswain on H.M.S. Porcupine, a naval survey vessel engaged in hydro-graphic surveys in north west Scotland as well as further afield. Williams apparently committed suicide in February 1861, and perhaps for this reason was buried outwith Portree graveyard. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />