Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Episcopal Church, Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_204
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12991
KEYWORDS
churches
saints
clergymen
Episcopal Church, Portree

In The Misty Isle of Skye, published in 1905, Rev J A MacCulloch wrote 'Apart from the beautiful Episcopal church of St Columba, with its gorgeous window dedicated to the memory of Skye's heroine, Flora Macdonald, the town itself has few architectural beauties.'

Twenty years previously this Church was built to the design of Alexander Ross as a result of the brilliant and energetic young Rev Arthur John MacLean who came to the area in 1882. He set about restoring St John the Baptist's Church at Caroy, near Struan, and planned for a church building to be erected in Portree to serve the growing needs of the village. A finance committee was gathered, and the new Church was in use by December 1884. After being away on mission to Assyria, Canon MacLean returned and the Church was consecrated in October 1891.

The Rectory linked to the Church building was added in 1891 and the stained glass window by E Ingram was dedicated in 1896. The window has brass plates in memory of Flora MacDonald. The window was a gift from Mrs Henry in London.

As early as 1892 it is recorded that repairs had to be carried out on the Tower. By c1915 the tower needed a replacement window, and the tower floor needed to be re-hung. The Tower provided a constant list of repairs requiring attention and expense, and was finally taken down in 1953.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Episcopal Church, Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

churches; saints; clergymen

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

In The Misty Isle of Skye, published in 1905, Rev J A MacCulloch wrote 'Apart from the beautiful Episcopal church of St Columba, with its gorgeous window dedicated to the memory of Skye's heroine, Flora Macdonald, the town itself has few architectural beauties.'<br /> <br /> Twenty years previously this Church was built to the design of Alexander Ross as a result of the brilliant and energetic young Rev Arthur John MacLean who came to the area in 1882. He set about restoring St John the Baptist's Church at Caroy, near Struan, and planned for a church building to be erected in Portree to serve the growing needs of the village. A finance committee was gathered, and the new Church was in use by December 1884. After being away on mission to Assyria, Canon MacLean returned and the Church was consecrated in October 1891.<br /> <br /> The Rectory linked to the Church building was added in 1891 and the stained glass window by E Ingram was dedicated in 1896. The window has brass plates in memory of Flora MacDonald. The window was a gift from Mrs Henry in London.<br /> <br /> As early as 1892 it is recorded that repairs had to be carried out on the Tower. By c1915 the tower needed a replacement window, and the tower floor needed to be re-hung. The Tower provided a constant list of repairs requiring attention and expense, and was finally taken down in 1953. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />