Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Wentworth Street, Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_206
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
12993
KEYWORDS
crofting
droving
livestock
Wentworth Street, Portree

This photograph shows Somerled Square in Portree. The sight of a large flock of sheep in the centre of the village would be an uncommon sight now. However, years ago it was not an unusual occurrence. They were possibly being herded down the main street toward Quay Brae and down to the pier for transport to market.

Somerled Square takes its name from the 12th century MacDonald warrior chief. The large building central in the photograph was built in 1873 as the Caledonian Bank and is currently the Bank of Scotland. The building on the left is the Clydesdale Bank. The War Memorial is central in the Square, and was unveiled in 1922.

This photograph was taken by Duncan Macpherson, who owned the Chemist's shop in Kyle of Lochalsh from 1912 until his retirement in the mid-1960s. He was a keen photographer, and his shop carried all the supplies for local amateur photographers. He was never without his camera and captured a record of the communities going about their everyday activities.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Wentworth Street, Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

crofting; droving; livestock

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This photograph shows Somerled Square in Portree. The sight of a large flock of sheep in the centre of the village would be an uncommon sight now. However, years ago it was not an unusual occurrence. They were possibly being herded down the main street toward Quay Brae and down to the pier for transport to market.<br /> <br /> Somerled Square takes its name from the 12th century MacDonald warrior chief. The large building central in the photograph was built in 1873 as the Caledonian Bank and is currently the Bank of Scotland. The building on the left is the Clydesdale Bank. The War Memorial is central in the Square, and was unveiled in 1922.<br /> <br /> This photograph was taken by Duncan Macpherson, who owned the Chemist's shop in Kyle of Lochalsh from 1912 until his retirement in the mid-1960s. He was a keen photographer, and his shop carried all the supplies for local amateur photographers. He was never without his camera and captured a record of the communities going about their everyday activities. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>