Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kiltaraglen, Portree, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_218
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13004
KEYWORDS
villages
landscapes
crofts
lochs
Portree Bay
Bile
Kiltaraglen, Portree, Skye

At this time, Portree was little more than a cluster of houses and commercial buildings round the harbour and main square, most of which are hidden in this image. 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage', surmounted by trees, can be seen jutting into the loch, with Viewfield House just visible in the trees to the far right.

The name Kiltaraglen may derive from the kil or cell of Talorgan, a holy man who lived for a time at Beal, close to the shore of the loch, or from the Gaelic for the chapel at the foot of the glen. The road snaking its way out of the village towards Staffin, would have passed Kiltaraglen Cottage, probably the white house central to the picture. It was the home of Dr. Lachlan Martin Matheson (c.1817 - 1889) who was in practice in Portree for over 52 years. He was also medical officer for the parishes of Kilmuir, Snizort and Portree and acted as surgeon to the Portree Volunteer Company of the Cameron Highlanders.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kiltaraglen, Portree, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1920s

villages; landscapes; crofts; lochs; Portree Bay; Bile

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

At this time, Portree was little more than a cluster of houses and commercial buildings round the harbour and main square, most of which are hidden in this image. 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage', surmounted by trees, can be seen jutting into the loch, with Viewfield House just visible in the trees to the far right.<br /> <br /> The name Kiltaraglen may derive from the kil or cell of Talorgan, a holy man who lived for a time at Beal, close to the shore of the loch, or from the Gaelic for the chapel at the foot of the glen. The road snaking its way out of the village towards Staffin, would have passed Kiltaraglen Cottage, probably the white house central to the picture. It was the home of Dr. Lachlan Martin Matheson (c.1817 - 1889) who was in practice in Portree for over 52 years. He was also medical officer for the parishes of Kilmuir, Snizort and Portree and acted as surgeon to the Portree Volunteer Company of the Cameron Highlanders. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />