Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_234
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13018
KEYWORDS
villages
lochs
landscapes
schools
Portree

This aerial view of Portree, sold from D.A. MacLeod's Pharmacy, shows the attractive situation of the village, looking out over Portree Bay to the Isle of Raasay, with the slopes of Ben Tianavaig on the right. The peninsula central in the photograph is 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage'. It appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly (and somewhat less attractively) referred to now as The Lump. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald.

Immediately below the camera is Portree High School. This building, typical of the period, replaced an attractive Victorian school in the early 1970s, and was itself replaced in 2009. To the left is the Elgin Hostel, opened in 1933 to provide accommodation for boys unable to travel daily to the school. Part of this building currently (2011) houses the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

1980s

villages; lochs; landscapes; schools

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This aerial view of Portree, sold from D.A. MacLeod's Pharmacy, shows the attractive situation of the village, looking out over Portree Bay to the Isle of Raasay, with the slopes of Ben Tianavaig on the right. The peninsula central in the photograph is 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage'. It appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly (and somewhat less attractively) referred to now as The Lump. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald. <br /> <br /> Immediately below the camera is Portree High School. This building, typical of the period, replaced an attractive Victorian school in the early 1970s, and was itself replaced in 2009. To the left is the Elgin Hostel, opened in 1933 to provide accommodation for boys unable to travel daily to the school. Part of this building currently (2011) houses the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />