Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aerial view of Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_235
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13019
KEYWORDS
villages
houses
harbours
Aerial view of Portree

This aerial photograph of Portree shows the picturesque situation of the village. Protected from the wind on all sides, for centuries Portree has been recognized as having one of the most sheltered harbours on the West coast. However, it was well into the 19th century before a pier was constructed, despite plans having been drawn up by James Gillespie and Thomas Telford early in the century. A quay was built from the lower end of the slope leading to the village and a short extension added in the latter half of the 19th century, extensively refurbished in 1902. The harbour was the scene of much activity especially during the herring fishing season when hundreds of boats were based there, and the pier also catered for an increasing volume of passenger steamers, cargo vessels and puffers, with a mail boat arriving daily in the summer. As roads improved, travel by sea became more limited, although large cruise ships are regularly seen moored in the bay in the summer months, their passengers brought ashore by launch.

Douglas Row was constructed along Quay Street (originally Shore Street), overlooking the harbour. The buildings are now painted in a series of cheery colours, and are a modern recognizable feature of the harbour area. The grassy hill behind is 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage'. It appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly (and somewhat less attractively) referred to now as The Lump. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald.

The Lump is the location of the Highland Games, held in August and the highlight of the tourist season. The arena can be identified in the photograph, and although looking like a natural amphitheatre, it was mostly created when stone was quarried for building work in Portree, including the Skye Gathering Hall, completed in 1879.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial view of Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

1990s

villages; houses; harbours

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This aerial photograph of Portree shows the picturesque situation of the village. Protected from the wind on all sides, for centuries Portree has been recognized as having one of the most sheltered harbours on the West coast. However, it was well into the 19th century before a pier was constructed, despite plans having been drawn up by James Gillespie and Thomas Telford early in the century. A quay was built from the lower end of the slope leading to the village and a short extension added in the latter half of the 19th century, extensively refurbished in 1902. The harbour was the scene of much activity especially during the herring fishing season when hundreds of boats were based there, and the pier also catered for an increasing volume of passenger steamers, cargo vessels and puffers, with a mail boat arriving daily in the summer. As roads improved, travel by sea became more limited, although large cruise ships are regularly seen moored in the bay in the summer months, their passengers brought ashore by launch.<br /> <br /> Douglas Row was constructed along Quay Street (originally Shore Street), overlooking the harbour. The buildings are now painted in a series of cheery colours, and are a modern recognizable feature of the harbour area. The grassy hill behind is 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage'. It appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly (and somewhat less attractively) referred to now as The Lump. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald. <br /> <br /> The Lump is the location of the Highland Games, held in August and the highlight of the tourist season. The arena can be identified in the photograph, and although looking like a natural amphitheatre, it was mostly created when stone was quarried for building work in Portree, including the Skye Gathering Hall, completed in 1879. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />