Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Isle Ornsay showing Hotel, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_256
PLACENAME
Isleornsay
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13035
KEYWORDS
hotels
houses
Isle Ornsay showing Hotel, Isle of Skye

Isle Ornsay is the name of the tidal island which lies close to the shore on the eastern side of the south of Skye, with wonderful views across to the hills above Glenelg and to Knoydart. The village of the same name was founded in the early 19th century and provided a protected harbour for fishing vessels, as well as a commercial centre for the area. Also known as Eilean Iarmain, the buildings pictured include a quay dating from 1805, a general store, former stables, a grain store and, to the left with glazed frontage, Hotel Eilean Iarmain. This latter building was originally an inn dating from about 1893, with the glass porch added in the 1920s to make the most of the view. Most of the buildings were bought by Sir Iain Noble in 1972, and were then restored or converted, forming the hub of his aims of revitalising Gaelic language and culture.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Isle Ornsay showing Hotel, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

1950s

hotels; houses

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

Isle Ornsay is the name of the tidal island which lies close to the shore on the eastern side of the south of Skye, with wonderful views across to the hills above Glenelg and to Knoydart. The village of the same name was founded in the early 19th century and provided a protected harbour for fishing vessels, as well as a commercial centre for the area. Also known as Eilean Iarmain, the buildings pictured include a quay dating from 1805, a general store, former stables, a grain store and, to the left with glazed frontage, Hotel Eilean Iarmain. This latter building was originally an inn dating from about 1893, with the glass porch added in the 1920s to make the most of the view. Most of the buildings were bought by Sir Iain Noble in 1972, and were then restored or converted, forming the hub of his aims of revitalising Gaelic language and culture. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />