Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Isleornsay from Cnoc-Olaig, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_257
PLACENAME
Isleornsay
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13036
KEYWORDS
hotels
villages
hay making
crofting
Isleornsay from Cnoc-Olaig, Skye

In the foreground, local crofters take advantage of a glorious day to gather in the hay, piling it onto the back of a lorry. The small community of Isleornsay, or Eilean Iarmain in Gaelic, lies behind, with Isle Ornsay just offshore and the hills above Glenelg in the background across the Sound of Sleat. Ornsay derives from the Norse word for a tidal island, one joined to the mainland at low tide.

Cnoc Olaig separates Isleornsay from Camuscross, the latter a crofting community, while Isleornsay was once a centre of trade based on the early 19th century pier. The white building in the centre of the photograph is Hotel Eilean Iarmain, originally an inn dating from about 1893, and since 1972 owned by Sir Iain Noble.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Isleornsay from Cnoc-Olaig, Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

1950s

hotels; villages; hay making; crofting

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

In the foreground, local crofters take advantage of a glorious day to gather in the hay, piling it onto the back of a lorry. The small community of Isleornsay, or Eilean Iarmain in Gaelic, lies behind, with Isle Ornsay just offshore and the hills above Glenelg in the background across the Sound of Sleat. Ornsay derives from the Norse word for a tidal island, one joined to the mainland at low tide.<br /> <br /> Cnoc Olaig separates Isleornsay from Camuscross, the latter a crofting community, while Isleornsay was once a centre of trade based on the early 19th century pier. The white building in the centre of the photograph is Hotel Eilean Iarmain, originally an inn dating from about 1893, and since 1972 owned by Sir Iain Noble. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>