Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Isle of Skye, Isle Ornsay
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_258
PLACENAME
Isleornsay
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13037
KEYWORDS
hotels
villages
islands
Isle of Skye, Isle Ornsay

Isle Ornsay is the name of the island, just seen on the right of this photograph, which lies close to the shore on the eastern side of the south of Skye, in Sleat. Ornsay derives from the Norse word for a tidal island, one joined to the mainland at low tide. The village of the same name was founded in the early 19th century and provided a protected harbour for fishing vessels and a commercial centre for the area. Also known as Eilean Iarmain, the buildings pictured include a quay dating from 1805, a general store, former stables, a grain store and, to the left with glazed frontage, Hotel Eilean Iarmain. This latter building was originally an inn dating from about 1893. Most of the buildings were bought by Sir Iain Noble in 1972, and were then restored or converted, forming the hub of his aims to revitalise the Gaelic language and culture.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Isle of Skye, Isle Ornsay

INVERNESS: Sleat

1950s

hotels; villages; islands

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

Isle Ornsay is the name of the island, just seen on the right of this photograph, which lies close to the shore on the eastern side of the south of Skye, in Sleat. Ornsay derives from the Norse word for a tidal island, one joined to the mainland at low tide. The village of the same name was founded in the early 19th century and provided a protected harbour for fishing vessels and a commercial centre for the area. Also known as Eilean Iarmain, the buildings pictured include a quay dating from 1805, a general store, former stables, a grain store and, to the left with glazed frontage, Hotel Eilean Iarmain. This latter building was originally an inn dating from about 1893. Most of the buildings were bought by Sir Iain Noble in 1972, and were then restored or converted, forming the hub of his aims to revitalise the Gaelic language and culture. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />