Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Armadale Castle, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_266
PLACENAME
Armadale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13043
KEYWORDS
castles
Gillespie Graham
David Bryce
MacDonalds of Sleat
Clan Donald Lands Trust
postcards
Armadale Castle, Skye

This postcard shows Armadale Castle on the Isle of Skye.

In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building. It was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Armadale Castle, Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

castles; Gillespie Graham; David Bryce; MacDonalds of Sleat; Clan Donald Lands Trust; postcards

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

This postcard shows Armadale Castle on the Isle of Skye.<br /> <br /> In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building. It was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />