Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Clan Donald Centre and Armadale Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_268
PLACENAME
Armadale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T.G. Godfrey
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13044
KEYWORDS
castles
MacDonalds
Macdonalds
Lord Macdonald
gardens
Clan Donald Centre and Armadale Castle

In 1790, the first Lord Macdonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle, boasting grand public rooms, vaulted ceilings with intricate mouldings and a fine staircase with a stained glass window of Somerled, progenitor of the clan. The castle was set in landscaped grounds with a walled garden and fine driveway, within the extensive Macdonald estate. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building, but it was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The Macdonald family eventually left the castle to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the Macdonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971 and for safety reasons, the building was dismantled in 1980, creating a sculptured ruin.

A beautiful garden continues to attract visitors, along with the Museum of the Isles and Study Centre constructed in 2002.

Photography by T.G. Godfrey


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Clan Donald Centre and Armadale Castle

INVERNESS: Sleat

1980s

castles; MacDonalds; Macdonalds; Lord Macdonald; gardens

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

In 1790, the first Lord Macdonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a design by architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle, boasting grand public rooms, vaulted ceilings with intricate mouldings and a fine staircase with a stained glass window of Somerled, progenitor of the clan. The castle was set in landscaped grounds with a walled garden and fine driveway, within the extensive Macdonald estate. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building, but it was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The Macdonald family eventually left the castle to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the Macdonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971 and for safety reasons, the building was dismantled in 1980, creating a sculptured ruin. <br /> <br /> A beautiful garden continues to attract visitors, along with the Museum of the Isles and Study Centre constructed in 2002.<br /> <br /> Photography by T.G. Godfrey <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />