Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Armadale Pier, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_CARD_270
PLACENAME
Armadale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13046
KEYWORDS
piers
steamers
passengers
tourists
Armadale Pier, Skye

The first pier built at Armadale did not reach deep enough water to allow steamers to dock and so passengers and freight had to be transported ashore by small boat. A wooden pier reaching deeper water was constructed in 1915, expanded in 1945 and made suitable for roll-on/roll-off ferries in 1994. Although this photograph was probably taken in the 1920s, the card was posted from Morar in 1932 by an M. McInnes who had had a day trip to Skye, quite possibly on the steamer pictured, the S.S. Claymore.

The S.S. Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship. The Claymore was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver.

From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927, but by late 1929, MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet. She was reprieved for a year and plans were drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel, but the plans were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Armadale Pier, Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

1920s

piers; steamers; passengers; tourists

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Dualchas Postcards

The first pier built at Armadale did not reach deep enough water to allow steamers to dock and so passengers and freight had to be transported ashore by small boat. A wooden pier reaching deeper water was constructed in 1915, expanded in 1945 and made suitable for roll-on/roll-off ferries in 1994. Although this photograph was probably taken in the 1920s, the card was posted from Morar in 1932 by an M. McInnes who had had a day trip to Skye, quite possibly on the steamer pictured, the S.S. Claymore. <br /> <br /> The S.S. Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship. The Claymore was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver.<br /> <br /> From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927, but by late 1929, MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet. She was reprieved for a year and plans were drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel, but the plans were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />