Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Rigg Salmon Fishing Crew
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_005
PLACENAME
Rigg
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13063
KEYWORDS
cobles
salmon station
crew
ice house
transport
bag net
clinker built
Rigg Salmon Fishing Crew

One of the salmon fishing stations run by James Banks was at Rigg, on the east coast of the Trotternish peninsula on Skye. The four man crew are pictured here. Wooden poles are laid over the flat rocks to make it easier to haul the coble up out of the water. The cobles were clinker-built, flat-bottomed and high-bowed boats. Their design made them perfect for the rough seas of the area but also easy to manoeuvre up onto the rocky shorelines. They were stable in the water when hauling nets and anchors and had plenty of space to keep the fish and equipment.

At some of the salmon stations, basic accommodation was provided so the crew could stay overnight. A larger boat, usually the ''Nereid'', would come out from Portree carrying supplies and ice. It would collect the freshly caught salmon and take it back to Portree where it would remain until transported off the island.



West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Rigg Salmon Fishing Crew

INVERNESS: Snizort

1950s; 1960s

cobles; salmon station; crew; ice house; transport; bag net; clinker built

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

One of the salmon fishing stations run by James Banks was at Rigg, on the east coast of the Trotternish peninsula on Skye. The four man crew are pictured here. Wooden poles are laid over the flat rocks to make it easier to haul the coble up out of the water. The cobles were clinker-built, flat-bottomed and high-bowed boats. Their design made them perfect for the rough seas of the area but also easy to manoeuvre up onto the rocky shorelines. They were stable in the water when hauling nets and anchors and had plenty of space to keep the fish and equipment. <br /> <br /> At some of the salmon stations, basic accommodation was provided so the crew could stay overnight. A larger boat, usually the ''Nereid'', would come out from Portree carrying supplies and ice. It would collect the freshly caught salmon and take it back to Portree where it would remain until transported off the island.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />