Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Rigg Salmon Fishing Crew
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_006
PLACENAME
Rigg
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13064
KEYWORDS
Holm
island
ice house
transport
fishing
fishing crew
accommodation
salmon
bag nets
Rigg Salmon Fishing Crew

This photograph was taken off the northeast coast of the Trotternish peninsula, Isle of Skye. The four man crew from Rigg salmon fishing station are coming alongside the larger boat, the 'Nereid'.

Each of the salmon stations had basic huts for accommodation where the crews would sometimes stay during the week, checking the salmon nets several times during the day. The 'Nereid' would go to the salmon stations bringing supplies, nets and ice, and collect the fresh salmon to take back to Portree before transporting it off the island.

The 'Nereid' would go on alternate days to Staffin, to the stations at Rigg and Lealt, then the next day to the stations on Raasay. The larger 'Nereid' couldn't land on the shore so all the supplies and salmon had to be transferred to the smaller cobles while at sea. In the distance is Holm Island. Legend suggests it is one of the locations of the mythical Tir-nan-Og, the land of perpetual youth.


West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Rigg Salmon Fishing Crew

INVERNESS: Snizort

1950s; 1960s

Holm; island; ice house; transport; fishing; fishing crew; accommodation; salmon; bag nets

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph was taken off the northeast coast of the Trotternish peninsula, Isle of Skye. The four man crew from Rigg salmon fishing station are coming alongside the larger boat, the 'Nereid'. <br /> <br /> Each of the salmon stations had basic huts for accommodation where the crews would sometimes stay during the week, checking the salmon nets several times during the day. The 'Nereid' would go to the salmon stations bringing supplies, nets and ice, and collect the fresh salmon to take back to Portree before transporting it off the island. <br /> <br /> The 'Nereid' would go on alternate days to Staffin, to the stations at Rigg and Lealt, then the next day to the stations on Raasay. The larger 'Nereid' couldn't land on the shore so all the supplies and salmon had to be transferred to the smaller cobles while at sea. In the distance is Holm Island. Legend suggests it is one of the locations of the mythical Tir-nan-Og, the land of perpetual youth. <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />