Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The 'Nereid'
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_011
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13068
KEYWORDS
catch
salmon
Portree
Raasay
ice house
harbour
The 'Nereid'

This photograph shows the main boat used for the sea salmon business in Portree, Isle of Skye. The boat was named 'Nereid', after the Greek mythological sea nymphs renowned for keeping a watchful eye over sailors on perilous seas.

The 'Nereid' was built in Tarbert, Loch Fyne in 1925. Early registration was to Thomas Miller, Portree, Isle of Skye in 1931. The 'Nereid' was sold to a Gairloch owner in 1944, registered there UL36. In 1946 she was bought by James Banks, brought back to Portree and reregistered under the Broadford number BRD334. It remained in use until 1982 when it was sold to a new owner in Belfast.

The 'Nereid' was used to travel to Staffin and Raasay salmon stations, delivering ice, nets and equipment and taking the salmon back to the ice house in Portree until it was transported off the island. The boat is seen here coming back into Portree, with one of the crew proudly displaying one of the catch.




West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The 'Nereid'

INVERNESS: Portree

1950s; 1960s

catch; salmon; Portree; Raasay; ice house; harbour

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph shows the main boat used for the sea salmon business in Portree, Isle of Skye. The boat was named 'Nereid', after the Greek mythological sea nymphs renowned for keeping a watchful eye over sailors on perilous seas. <br /> <br /> The 'Nereid' was built in Tarbert, Loch Fyne in 1925. Early registration was to Thomas Miller, Portree, Isle of Skye in 1931. The 'Nereid' was sold to a Gairloch owner in 1944, registered there UL36. In 1946 she was bought by James Banks, brought back to Portree and reregistered under the Broadford number BRD334. It remained in use until 1982 when it was sold to a new owner in Belfast. <br /> <br /> The 'Nereid' was used to travel to Staffin and Raasay salmon stations, delivering ice, nets and equipment and taking the salmon back to the ice house in Portree until it was transported off the island. The boat is seen here coming back into Portree, with one of the crew proudly displaying one of the catch.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />