Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Pier
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_029
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13085
KEYWORDS
pier
harbour
salmon fishing
boats
pier dues
local council
government
laws
Secretary of State
Nicolson
Portree Pier

The boat tied at the slipway is the 'Nereid', named for the Greek mythological sea nymphs who protect sailors in perilous seas.

The 'Nereid' was built in Tarbert, Loch Fyne in 1925. Early registration was to Thomas Miller, Portree, Isle of Skye in 1931. She was sold to a Gairloch owner in 1944 and reregistered there. Then in 1946 she was purchased by James Banks and brought back to Portree for sea salmon fishing. She was reregistered under the Broadford number BRD334 and remained in use until 1982 when she was sold and taken to Belfast.

The 'Nereid' would tie up at the slipway to load and unload supplies, for which pier dues were charged. The fees were set by the Secretary of State and were based on the monetary value of the catch. James Banks was often in negotiation regarding these fees as the price of salmon fluctuated, leaving the industry at a real disadvantage and affecting their profits.

The man on the left has been identified as Alick Nicolson who ran the 'Nereid' for many years.


West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Pier

INVERNESS: Portree

1940s; 1950s

pier; harbour; salmon fishing; boats; pier dues; local council; government; laws; Secretary of State; Nicolson

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

The boat tied at the slipway is the 'Nereid', named for the Greek mythological sea nymphs who protect sailors in perilous seas. <br /> <br /> The 'Nereid' was built in Tarbert, Loch Fyne in 1925. Early registration was to Thomas Miller, Portree, Isle of Skye in 1931. She was sold to a Gairloch owner in 1944 and reregistered there. Then in 1946 she was purchased by James Banks and brought back to Portree for sea salmon fishing. She was reregistered under the Broadford number BRD334 and remained in use until 1982 when she was sold and taken to Belfast.<br /> <br /> The 'Nereid' would tie up at the slipway to load and unload supplies, for which pier dues were charged. The fees were set by the Secretary of State and were based on the monetary value of the catch. James Banks was often in negotiation regarding these fees as the price of salmon fluctuated, leaving the industry at a real disadvantage and affecting their profits.<br /> <br /> The man on the left has been identified as Alick Nicolson who ran the 'Nereid' for many years.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />